Machine Learning Engineer
At Katapult, we are a technology-forward, innovative financing company powering the inclusion economy. We're searching for a Machine Learning Engineer to add to our Data Science and Credit Risk team. The Machine Learning Engineer will be responsible for building machine learning models, data pipelines and python-based backend APIs for our credit risk and fraud prevention decision engine. This individual will be responsible for developing NLP and text-mining algorithms using a variety of methods including leveraging large language models. We are looking for someone to become an expert in all aspects of Katapult’s risk and data science infrastructure. The ideal candidate has a high level of intellectual curiosity with a desire to understand Katapult's business. If you posses meticulous attention to detail and great documentation skills this is the role for you. We're looking for an individual with strong sense of ownership and great communication skills.
What You'll Do
- Continuous development of our decision engine backend including implementation of new models and business rules
- Build data pipelines and python-based ETL tools for getting, processing, and delivering data
- Create and train new ML models and algorithms for credit risk underwriting and fraud prevention
- Research new opportunities for using Large Language Models on our internal data
- Perform data analysis on financial portfolio data regarding efficacy of business rules and models
- Develop data models and schemas in our database that enable performant, intuitive analysis and production grade performance
- Identify, design and implement internal process improvements including re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability
- Work with stakeholders including Tech, Product, Operations, Marketing and executive teams and assist them with data-related technical issues
- Become an expert on all aspects of Katapult’s credit risk and underwriting infrastructure
- Other duties as assigned
Experience and Skills We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical degree
- 2+ years of work experience in software/data engineering
- 2+ years of work experience building production ready Machine Learning algorithms/models
- 3+ years of work experience overall
- Experience with Cloud technologies required (AWS Preferred)
- Experience working with NLP, text-mining, LLMs preferred
- Experience with the entire data science pipeline. (EDA, Modelling, Implementation, etc.)
- Python and SQL proficiency
- The ability to communicate complex issues or ideas to broader audiences
- A highly motivated self-starter with the ability to work efficiently with minimal supervision
Benefits and Perks: At Katapult, there's a lot more to consider than just base pay! We pride ourselves in offering an above-market total compensation package along with other benefits:
- Work from home
- Work for a fully remote organization (you're not left out - we all work remotely!)
- Medical coverage starting at $0.00 cost to you
- Dental & Vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- New Parent Leave
- 401K (100% company match up to 5% - immediate vesting)
- Flexible Paid Vacation & Personal Time Policy - "Unlimited PTO"
- Company-paid life & disability insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program for personal counseling
- Legal Services & more!
Katapult’s mission is simple: Our technology inspires financial possibility. Our vision is to create a world where financial barriers no longer exist by providing disruptive technology that empowers and simplifies the shopping experience. Our values speak volumes about how we operate. We enhance the lives of our employees, customers, and retail partners by providing transparent, innovative and empowering financial products. We achieve extraordinary results through commitment, integrity and teamwork. We create opportunities for success and growth everyday. Inclusion is in our DNA, together we are stronger. We persevere, we work hard, we play hard, we win big.
Katapult is transforming the world of lease-to-own with transparent lease-purchase plans that flex to meet the needs of consumers who are overlooked by traditional credit. With proprietary artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) risk-modeling technology, Katapult predicts consumer behavior more accurately than traditional credit scores - providing new paths to ownership for people and new customers for omnichannel retailers. Katapult ensures exceptional experiences with seamless integration, both directly with merchants and through ecommerce platforms, and award-winning customer service.
Inclusion is in our DNA. Katapult hires the best candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state and local law.