WHO ARE WE?
Firstleaf is transforming the $70B US wine market by empowering consumers to experience wine in a whole new way: theirs!
Firstleaf launched in February 2016, with the vision to be the world’s most customer-centric wine company. We created a flexible direct-to-consumer model combining the roles of winery, importer, and retailer into one vertically integrated company. By eliminating the middleman and dealing directly with the world’s finest wineries, we provide our members with an exclusive selection of world-class wines at significant savings. We source from vineyards around the globe and have our own talented winemakers on staff. Our wines have won over 3,000 awards, including 500+ 90 point scores.
We understand that wine is a complicated and intimidating category to shop, especially if you’re a new wine drinker. We exist to make it easy for consumers to confidently find wines that they will love, not because a fancy sommelier in Bordeaux told them it was good, but because they actually love the way it tastes!
Our custom algorithm uses millions of data points to produce and curate each shipment of award-winning wine from around the world so that members can explore new bottles and discover new favorites tailored to their taste. Founded by Philip James, a wine industry veteran and Oxford-educated chemist, the subscription service unites the art and science of wine. With a wide variety of wines from around the world, we have over 82 million combinations of wines possible and 98% of our monthly boxes are unique. We’re constantly refining wine recommendations based on the ratings of our members, who control which wines they get, how much, and how often.
This process begins with a chemical analysis of all our wines so that we understand at the molecular level what is in each bottle. As a result, after our customers take our quiz and rate 3 bottles, we know exactly what it is that they like or don’t like (level of tannins, acidity, sugar, etc), enabling us to refine their wine profile, recommend additional wines AND make choices on which wines to produce with 96% accuracy!
We have been recognized by Fast Company’s Annual List of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022 and named to Quartz's Best Companies for Remote Workers 2022. Over one million people have tried Firstleaf since our inception and we continue to disrupt an industry that hasn’t changed in nearly a century– we need you to help tell our story.
TEAM & TEAM PURPOSE
The Marketing Team aims to craft a compelling and unified narrative showcasing Firstleaf's journey toward becoming the premier customer-centric wine company. In doing so, drive growth in both our customer base and revenue. Your task is to write persuasive messaging that deeply connects with our audience, elevating brand engagement, and ultimately producing higher conversion rates and increased sales.
As the Copywriter, you will report directly to the Senior Director of Brand, Creative & PR, and play a pivotal role within our Marketing team. Your primary responsibility will be crafting compelling copy that not only inspires consumer action but also aligns seamlessly with and strengthens the Firstleaf brand's distinctive voice. Most of the content will be short or medium form. While most needs will be email marketing, your role will extend to generating copy for all our owned content platforms, including Social, Email, Website, SEO, Mobile App, and Product Launches.
Additionally, you'll be instrumental in developing copy for our paid channels, encompassing Digital, Social, Podcasts, and Direct Mail, collaborating closely with a designer. In this capacity, your copy will serve as a catalyst for eliciting responses and guiding consumers toward discovering wine they’ll love. Your creative prowess will be integral in ensuring that the Firstleaf brand maintains a standout position within the industry.
WHO YOU ARE
As a seasoned wordsmith, you possess a unique talent for developing captivating copy that truly resonates. Your customer-centric approach means you effortlessly step into their shoes, always mindful of the impact your words will have on their thoughts, emotions, and actions. Your expertise lies in spearheading the creation of high-impact, results-oriented content that not only drives member growth but consistently delivers outstanding outcomes that increase overall revenue. You relish the opportunity to leverage market test results, using data to refine and enhance your copywriting skills for future projects.
Your enthusiasm extends to lifestyle brands, and you closely track the evolution of digital content, with a particular focus on the wine, direct-to-consumer (DTC), and tech communities. Your creativity knows no bounds, allowing you to craft innovative messaging that triggers immediate responses. Your dedication to direct response copywriting is unwavering, and you have a proven track record of transforming words into revenue. In an environment where content creation directly translates into measurable results, you thrive, continuously experimenting and fine-tuning to maximize effectiveness. Writing isn't just your job; it's your passion, and you're ready to take it to the next level.
REQUIREMENTS & SKILLS YOU SHOULD HAVE
- The preferred candidate should have 5+ years of copywriting experience, ideally within a marketing team or agency, with a strong preference for prior involvement in a direct-to-consumer (DTC) or eCommerce setting.
- An ideal candidate will also bring experience from a start-up atmosphere, showcasing a demonstrated history of achieving impactful outcomes through their writing skills and a genuine passion for the craft of direct response copy.
- Ability to translate data into compelling messaging that puts the customer first. Ability to craft compelling messaging throughout the purchase funnel and across digital and traditional media channels, while measuring the business impact of those campaigns qualitatively and quantitatively.
- Proven aptitude for quick creative thinking without sacrificing attention to detail.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, cultivator of positive working relationships with teams across an organization.
- A strong understanding of marketing and content channels and ability to adapt writing to fit the needs of the audience.
- Proven ability to improve creative messaging quality through concept testing and optimization while meeting deadlines.
- Great instincts and knowledge of industry trends.
- A passion for the wine space.
- Experience in both eCommerce and Subscription models. (Preferred)
- We’d be super impressed if you have a level of wine education. (Preferred)
- Portfolio submission required, as well as a brief creative assessment.
You will succeed in this role if you:
- Are a low-ego, high-energy, and a glass half-full type person who constantly asks what you can do to make everyone around you more successful.
- Have exceptional writing skills and experience thinking strategically about brand concepts and implementation across multiple channels.
- Are a hands-on "team-player" with enthusiasm for contributing directly to business outcomes.
- Are a diplomatic, effective communicator.
- Have the ability to work in an agile, dynamic work environment (comfortable with risk and uncertainty).
- Have strong stakeholder relationship management - effectively influence at all levels in the organization, as well as across regions and functions.
- Are collaborative and work well with others to deliver results; keep others informed to avoid unnecessary surprises.
- Have the ability to multitask. Excellent time and project management skills to be able to meet project deadlines.
Salary: $90,000-$100,000/year dependent on relevant experience.
Working with the world's best wine company isn't enough? Seriously though, we offer remote work and unlimited PTO. We offer a competitive compensation package and stock options grants, plus choices with medical, dental, and vision coverage, as well as flexible spending accounts, life insurance, 401(k), employee assistance program, and discounted pet insurance. And to top it off: a monthly wine credit with our wine club!
Firstleaf is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Firstleaf is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process.