BetterCloud is the market leader for SaaS Operations, enabling IT professionals to transform their employee experience, maximize operational efficiency, and centralize data protection. With no-code automation enabling zero-touch workflows, thousands of forward-thinking organizations like Twitch, Oscar Health, and Cloud Factory now rely on BetterCloud to automate processes and policies across their cloud application portfolio.
With 10+ years of experience pioneering the SaaS Operations movement, BetterCloud now serves the world’s largest community of SaaSOps experts. As host of Altitude, the industry’s leading SaaSOps event, and publisher of The State of SaaSOps Report, the category’s definitive market research, BetterCloud is recognized by customers (G2) and leading analyst firms (Gartner and Forrester) as the market leader in SaaS Operations.
This role is based out of our new and exciting Mexico City Office. Mexico City is our first office outside of the US, and you’ll be one of the first employees there, helping us build the office from scratch and shape an amazing culture. We’re headquartered in New York City, with a large presence in Atlanta, GA, as well as innovation hubs & remote talent across the U.S. BetterCloud is backed, among others, by some of the best technology investors Vista Equity Partners, Warburg Pincus, Bain Capital, and Accel.
As a BetterCloud Principal Engineer, you will help us set and adhere to engineering standards, as well as build understanding of those standards across the software development teams. We are on a mission to build an API-first culture and architecture, develop cutting edge SaaS capabilities and drive towards a highly reliable, scalable platform for our customers. We have a strong focus on creating a decoupled microservice architecture that allows for nimble development and rapid innovation. In this role, you will help teams design and implement new features and capabilities, provide strong guidance in best practices for troubleshooting and remediating issues, and run PoCs for new technologies that will further our goals as a development organization.
Reporting to the Director of Software Development, the Principal Engineer is a mentor and teacher for our development teams, working closely with the Engineering Managers and developers to drive a culture of excellence and execution.
- Expert-level experience building highly scalable software solutions
- Proven senior-level experience designing, building and optimizing highly performant and scalable APIs
- Familiarity with using POCs and demonstrable code to deliver fully functional features incrementally over time
- Expert-level experience with Java
- Practical experience with cloud technologies such as GCP or AWS (preferably GCP)
- Experience mentoring and leading a team of engineers through medium to large scale solutions
- Previous experience driving engineering best practices within your team and the organization
- Self-starter with an ability to manage multiple technical projects in parallel
- English is the business language of BetterCloud. Candidates are required to have a TOEFL proficiency or equivalent
- Willingness to work out of our Mexico City Office at least 3 days per week
- Ability to travel to our offices in the United States
What You’ll Do
- You will be our first Principal Software Engineer in Mexico City, and we’ll look to you for guidance along the way
- Work with the BetterCloud architects to establish the technical vision for multiple teams within your squad
- Empower and engage engineers to build their technical abilities
- Work cross functionally and collaboratively with all parts of the business to drive implementations that align with customer goals
- Document all aspects of your design and technical guidance to ensure information is spread throughout the organization
- Promote a blame-free culture by iterating on innovative solutions
- Act as a coach and cheerleader for your team. You celebrate wins! You look for learning opportunities in the misses
By the end of week 1, you will have:
- Met with your key stakeholders and peers in Mexico and the United States
- Investigated our current architecture and software development pipeline
- Familiarized yourself with BetterWay (our Definition and Build process)
- Obtained access to the systems you will need to do your best work
By the end of 30 days, you will have:
- Worked with the Director of Software Development to begin the hiring process for your development team
- Worked with your Product Management team to establish an initial roadmap and delivery forecasts
- Established a regular cadence of touchpoints with your peers and stakeholders
- Collaborated with your BCMX colleagues to build the culture and employee experience for our Mexico City location
What We Offer
- Hybrid work model with up to 2 days per week working from home*
- Generous PTO policy plus paid mental health days
- Seguro de Gastos Médicos Mayores, Seguro de Asistencia Médica, Vision Insurance, Dental Insurance, Life Insurance and dedicated mental health resources**
- Vales de despensa
- Financial wellness support and one-time WFH stipend
- Plus more… Think events, killer swag, and a strong BetterCloud Community!
At Bettercloud, we believe that our employees' gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, religion, origin, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, age and other characteristics enrich our corporate culture and our workplace. That’s why we have a mission to foster a culture at BetterCloud that empowers, celebrates, and values our differences allowing us to bring our true self to work. DEI&B is core to who we are and what we do. From an employee-led Diversity Council empowering our differences, to multiple Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) creating a strong sense of belonging, to frequent outside speakers focusing on DEI&B topics, our commitment to DEI&B is non negotiable. Bettercloud is an equal opportunity employer and will continue to empower, celebrate and value our differences in order to grow community, safety and trust in our work environment. Join us and be part of an organization that celebrates and respects diversity. If you are interested in knowing more about our DEIB efforts, please visit our website: https://www.bettercloud.com/diversity/
*Remote - This role is not eligible for remote employees. Employees must be based in the Mexico City area.
** These benefits will be available shortly after the company has 10+ employees in Mexico City due to insurance limitations and rates. Until that point, employees will be provided with a monthly allowance on top of their salary for these purposes.