Engineering Manager - Cloud Platform Engineer Core (Kubernetes)
AlphaSense is a market intelligence platform used by the world's leading companies and financial institutions. Our AI-based technology helps professionals make smarter business decisions by delivering insights from an extensive universe of public and private content—including company filings, event transcripts, news, trade journals, and equity research. Our platform is trusted by over 1,800 enterprise customers, including a majority of the S&P 500. Headquartered in New York City, AlphaSense employs over 1200 people across offices in the U.S., U.K., Finland, and India. For more information, please visit www.alpha-sense.com.
Check out what we’ve built so far
The Cloud Platform Engineering Manager is responsible for steering our Cloud Platform Core team towards the development, deployment and management of opinionated Kubernetes clusters on multiple cloud providers. As its servant leader, you will ensure that our Kubernetes environments are robust, scalable, cost-effective, secure and managed with scale in mind, fit to serve our business and customer needs efficiently. With a keen focus on operational excellence and architectural best practices, you will support the team in embracing cloud-native principles and foster a culture of innovation, responsibility, and continuous improvement. Balancing technical acumen with strong people skills and multicultural sensibilities, you will act as a bridge between various stakeholders and the team, ensuring that our Kubernetes clusters are not only reliable and performant but also consistently aligned with the evolving landscape of our business strategies.
- Drive the delivery of high-quality Kubernetes clusters, prioritizing simplicity and focusing on solving core problems
- Maintain and elevate operational processes for the management of Kubernetes environments, emphasizing scalability and reliability, considering clusters full lifecycle
- Oversee the proper configuration of cloud services across AWS, GCP, and Azure, and ensure the secure integration with Identity Management and Cost Tracking services
- Act as a technical thought leader, providing insights into the strategic development of Kubernetes based solutions
- Implement talent frameworks to build a team with the right mix of cloud platform expertise and experience
- Champion the growth and development of the team, encouraging a continuous learning environment and supporting its members through coaching and mentoring, while ensuring long-term growth and psychological safety
- Drive OKRs (Objectives and Key results) for the team for each quarter, while actively participating in the conversation defining mission and R&D quarter and yearly OKRs
- Foster collaboration and effective communication within the team and across organizational boundaries
- Uphold rigorous standards for production support of our Kubernetes clusters, including incident management and root cause analysis
- Oversee the team’s participation in architectural decisions, advocating for the right trade-offs and technical choices
- Actively engage in hiring and retention strategies, including defining or updating role responsibilities and performance expectations
- Encourage a team culture that embraces AlphaSense’s Diversity Commitments and promotes organizational health
- Guide the team in strategic planning, ensuring effective use of resources and alignment with company-wide initiatives
- Facilitate a culture of innovation where team members contribute to both "what to build" and "how to build"
- Lead by example, establishing yourself as a trustworthy and empathetic leader with a commitment to personal and team growth
- Proven experience in managing cloud platform teams with a focus on Kubernetes
- Hands-on experience in developing, deploying and managing Kubernetes clusters, with CKA level understanding of the different domains involved (architecture, workloads etc.)
- Experience with cluster lifecycle management solutions, such as Rancher, ClusterAPI, Anthos or similar
- Solid background on working with Cloud APIs, with at least AWS plus one of GCP or Azure
- Strong understanding of cloud-native technologies and principles
- Demonstrated ability to lead and grow teams in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with operational processes and production support in cloud-based ecosystems
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to tailor messages to diverse audiences
- A track record of making informed decisions quickly, without compromising on quality or trust
- Commitment to fostering an inclusive and multiculturally sensitive team environment where all voices are heard
- Strategic mindset with an ability to think ahead and anticipate problems before they escalate
- Ability to act as an ambassador for the team, advocating for their work and needs across the organization
- A passion for personal growth, seeking feedback, and leading by example in both managerial and technical expertise.
What we offer
- Playing a part in the story of a fast growing company
- Interesting career opportunities and training
- Relocation support for single employees, couples and families
- While we do have an office in Helsinki, we’re a distributed company. We value outcomes over time, and offer flexible working arrangements. We usually meet at the office once a week.
- Private healthcare services from Terveystalo
- 2 weeks of vacation granted up front, and possibility to use vacation days as they accrue
- Access to gym room, gaming room, free parking near the office, mobile phone, Lunch benefit, mobile plan, home internet, remote work equipment, and many more.
You can apply by sending your cover letter and resume through the application form.