Senior Software Engineer - Search (Java)
AlphaSense is a market intelligence platform used by the world's leading companies and financial institutions. Since 2011, our AI-based technology has helped professionals make smarter business decisions by delivering insights from an extensive universe of public and private content – including company filings, event transcripts, news, trade journals, and equity research. Our platform is trusted by over 3,500 enterprise customers, including a majority of the S&P 500. Headquartered in New York City, AlphaSense employs over 1,200 people across offices in the U.S., U.K., Finland, India, Germany, and Singapore. For more information, please visit www.alpha-sense.com.
Check out what we’ve built so far
We are seeking a passionate Senior Software Engineer with Search experience to help create the next big thing in data analysis and search solutions.
You will join our team of experts developing our AI-powered market intelligence search engine. The team is right at the very core of what we do. We are responsible for building cutting-edge technology that is the foundation of a 2.5 billion dollar company. At AlphaSense, our search stack is built to empower 1000s of customers, including those at Goldman Sachs, Google, and Spotify, to research financial markets with unparalleled speed. Our team builds scalable features, infrastructure, and algorithms that enable customers to navigate our premium content sets and find answers with ease.
We’re looking for talented, self-motivated professionals with a background and interest in search technology to join the AlphaSense customer-focused experience search team. Together with the team of talented frontend and full-stack engineers, you will be primarily responsible for the platform layer of our search (Java, Solr, ElasticSearch). However, we are looking for solid and product-minded talents who are able to build the connections with all the layers of the stack.
If you are interested in the opportunity to pursue purposeful work, join a mission-driven team, and build a rewarding career while having fun, AlphaSense is the perfect fit for you.
What we are looking for:
- 4+ years of software development experience with building scalable, high-performing, and robust applications (with at least several years on Java)
- Experience in the design and development of search platforms
- Excellence experience in producing high-quality software designs to support long-term maintainability and extensibility of code
- Experience with cloud, containerization and IaC (AWS, Kubernetes, Terraform)
- Product-minded: committed to building the best solutions and solving the most demanding user experience challenges
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of APIs
- Experience with agile software development principles
- BS/MS Degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent work experience
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with Apache Solr and/or open-source search engines such as Lucene or Elasticsearch
- Knowledgeable about modern web technologies and excited to learn new ones, e.g. GraphQL, Node.js
- Experience with vector/neural search technologies
- Experience with ArgoCD
What you’ll be doing:
- Bring your search expertise to the team to transform our ideas into features improving the search experience for thousands of customers
- Assess the efficiency of technologies and drive forward their adoption in the teams
- Closely collaborate with the Product Team, focusing on what matters for business
- Perform quality control and resolve structural design and other issues throughout the implementation stages
- Keeping abreast of developments and innovation in the area of specialization
- Mentoring the developers around you
- Provide engineering perspective during roadmap development
- Troubleshoot complex search-related issues
- Daytime work hours on-call support, monitoring, and triaging as part of a shared rotation.
What we offer:
- Playing a part in the story of a fast growing company
- Interesting career opportunities and training
- Relocation support for single employees, couples and families
- While we do have an office in Helsinki, we’re a distributed company. We value outcomes over time, and offer flexible working arrangements. We usually meet at the office once a week
- Private healthcare services from Terveystalo
- 2 weeks of vacation granted up front, and possibility to use vacation days as they accrue
- Access to gym room, gaming room, free parking near the office, mobile phone, Lunch benefit, mobile plan, home internet, remote work equipment, and many more....
You can apply by sending your cover letter and resume through the application form.