Senior Cloud Platform Engineer (Data Management)
AlphaSense is a market intelligence platform used by the world's leading companies and financial institutions. Since 2011, our AI-based technology has helped professionals make smarter business decisions by delivering insights from an extensive universe of public and private content – including company filings, event transcripts, news, trade journals, and equity research. Our platform is trusted by over 3,500 enterprise customers, including a majority of the S&P 500. Headquartered in New York City, AlphaSense employs over 1,200 people across offices in the U.S., U.K., Finland, India, Germany, and Singapore. For more information, please visit www.alpha-sense.com.
Check out what we’ve built so far
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Senior Cloud Platform Engineer (Data Management) to join our Cloud Features team. In this role, you will be responsible for extending the capabilities of Kubernetes clusters with Kubernetes operators that provide Data Management solutions at enterprise scale. In concrete, we are looking for someone who is able to develop and integrate Kubernetes Operators using Go and/or Java, with a focus on databases (MongoDB, Elasticsearch, ScyllaDB, MySQL, PostgrSQL, Quadrant, Clickhouse, etc.) and messaging (NATS, Kafka), and with the goal to automate deploying and operating these resources on various Kubernetes flavors across cloud providers such as AWS, GCP and Azure.
- Develop and/or integrate Kubernetes operators to manage specific database and messaging systems.
- Implement databases (MongoDB, ScyllaDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Quadrant, Clickhouse, etc.) and messaging systems (NATS and Kafka) most common operations, such as deployment and configuration, encryption, auditing, scaling, backup and restore, failover and disaster recovery, certificate management, identity and access management, etc., either on the 3rd party operators we use, or on completely new operators you will help design and implement together with your team colleagues.
- Ensure necessary signals (metrics, logs, traces) are made available for effective monitoring and early detection of potential issues in all components.
- Carry root cause analysis and incident resolution for operators and their managed resources in selected environments.
- Work closely with internal teams to gather requirements and feedback on the deployed solutions.
- Ensure internal customers receive appropriate support and guidance on using supported operators.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in Kubernetes, databases, and messaging technologies.
- Identify opportunities to introduce additional Kubernetes-based solutions (additional operators) that cater to evolving internal customer needs.
- Recommend and implement enhancements to existing solutions for better performance, security, and scalability.
- Create comprehensive documentation for the developed Kubernetes operators and integrated solutions, ensuring ease of use and maintenance.
- Train and guide colleagues and users, sharing best practices and insights for efficient Kubernetes-based data management.
- Clear understanding of Kubernetes architecture, concepts, and APIs with solid hands-on experience deploying and operating data management solutions on it
- Experience with Kubernetes observability and related tools, like Prometheus and Grafana
- In-depth knowledge of databases and messaging systems, particularly with hands-on production experience in one of MongoDB, PostgreSQL or Clickhouse, as well as Kafka
- Skilled in performance tuning, availability enhancement, and understanding of sharding, replication, and primary/secondary architectures
- Able to identify and solve problems related to the deployment, management, and scaling of database and messaging systems on Kubernetes
- Solid experience in developing in either Go or Java, preferably both
- Experience working with Helm and Kustomize for operator deployment automation
- Experience with cloud providers, at least one of Azure, AWS or GCP, and familiarity with their APIs, either directly via SDKs, or indirectly using CLIs, Terraform providers or other similar tools
- Familiarity with software development best practices
- Experience with system architecture or microservices architecture is a plus
- Experience with Crossplane is a plus
- Experience with writing RFCs and technical documentation is a plus
What we offer
- Playing a part in the story of a fast growing company
- Interesting career opportunities and training
- Relocation support for single employees, couples and families
- While we do have an office in Helsinki, we’re a distributed company. We value outcomes over time, and offer flexible working arrangements. We usually meet at the office once a week.
- Private healthcare services from Terveystalo
- 2 weeks of vacation granted up front, and possibility to use vacation days as they accrue
- Access to gym room, gaming room, free parking near the office, mobile phone, Lunch benefit, mobile plan, home internet, remote work equipment, and many more....
You can apply by sending your cover letter and resume through the application form. Application deadline 30th October 2023.