Sr. Engineering Manager, Databases - Max Digital
If you are looking for a career at a dynamic company with a people-first mindset and a deep culture of growth and autonomy, ACV is the right place for you! Competitive compensation packages and learning and development opportunities, ACV has what you need to advance to the next level in your career. We will continue to raise the bar every day by investing in our people and technology to help our customers succeed. We hire people who share our passion, bring innovative ideas to the table, and enjoy a collaborative atmosphere.
Who we are:
ACV is a technology company that has revolutionized how dealers buy and sell cars online. We are transforming the automotive industry. ACV Auctions Inc. (ACV), has applied innovation and user-designed, data driven applications and solutions. We are building the most trusted and efficient digital marketplace with data solutions for sourcing, selling and managing used vehicles with transparency and comprehensive insights that were once unimaginable. We are disruptors of the industry and we want you to join us on our journey. ACV’s network of brands includes ACV Auctions, ACV Transportation, ClearCar, MAX Digital and ACV Capital within its Marketplace Products, as well as, True360 and Data Services.
At ACV we focus on the Health, Physical, Financial, Social and Emotional Wellness of our Teammates and to support this we offer:
- Multiple medical plans including a high deductible health plan that costs $0 out of your paycheck
- Company-sponsored (paid) Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, and Life Insurance
- Comprehensive optional benefits such as Dental, Vision, Supplemental Life/AD&D, Legal/ID Protection, and Accident and Critical Illness Insurance
- Generous paid time off options, including vacation time, sick days, Company holidays, floating holidays, parental leave, bereavement leave, jury duty leave, voting leave, and other forms of paid leave as required by applicable law or regulation
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with additional opportunities to earn stock in the Company
- Retirement planning through the Company’s 401(k)
Who we are looking for:
MAX Digital/ACV is looking for an Senior level Engineering Manager in our Data Engineering department that will play a critical role in the design, development, optimization, and maintenance of all of our data platforms (SQL Server, MongoDB, etc.). You will lead an engineering team to deliver high-quality, robust, and scalable solutions that empower our customers to manage and analyze their data effectively.
What you will do:
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Lead the architectural design and technical decision-making process for SQL Server components, ensuring alignment with product goals and engineering standards.
- Design, develop, and implement complex features and enhancements within SQL Server and MongoDB, considering performance, scalability, and security aspects.
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, and other engineers to define requirements and translate them into technical specifications.
- Manage and grow a team of experienced data engineers responsible for maintaining existing data platforms, developing new data products, and modernizing our data stack for the future.
- Evaluate, hire, and on-board candidates based on organizational need, technical skill set, and cultural fit.
- Mentor and guide junior engineers, providing technical expertise, code reviews, and best practices to foster professional growth.
- Evaluate SQL and MongoDB environments and produce/execute plans to evolve the data architecture/infrastructure of our platform, ensuring that engineers can work easily and effectively.
- Leverage monitoring tools to ensure high performance and availability; work with operations and engineering to improve as required.
- Ensure that new development meets company standards for readability, reliability, and performance.
- Work with internal teams on transactional and analytical schema designs.
- Collaborate with software and DevOps engineers to design scalable services, plan feature roll-out, and ensure high reliability and performance of our products.
- Architect and build entire services, including but not limited to: data modeling, storage, message brokers, protocols and interfaces.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
What you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Information Systems, or related field(s) preferred.
- 6-8 years’ relevant professional experience in Data Engineering supporting/building the database-tier of data-driven SaaS applications.
- 2 years’ Operational DBA experience (dedicated or hybrid role).
- 3-5 years’ managing a team of engineers
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Strong professional experience in relational database modeling and experience building high performance data-driven transactional applications.
- Strong experience analyzing SQL queries for performance bottlenecks and optimizing queries with a structured approach.
- Robust SQL and data-layer development experience; OLTP schema design.
- Expert understanding of SQL query execution fundamentals and query optimization principles.
- Experience maintaining and extending an existing codebase, adapting to pre-existing patterns and tracing the code’s path of execution.
- Experience implementing ETL workflows (SSIS, Airflow, C#, Python).
- Experience using and integrating with cloud services, specifically: AWS RDS, S3, SQS, SNS.
- Experience integrating SQL & NoSQL (MongoDB) data stores.
Nice to Have
- OLAP schema design experience.
- Experience developing unit- and integration-tests using DBT or similar.
Compensation: $144,500.00 - $170,000.00 annually. Please note that final compensation will be determined based upon the applicant's relevant experience, skillset, location, business needs, market demands, and other factors as permitted by law.
Trust & Transparency | People First | Positive Experiences | Calm Persistence | Never Settling
At ACV, we are committed to an inclusive culture in which every individual is welcomed and empowered to celebrate their true selves. We achieve this by fostering a work environment of acceptance and understanding that is free from discrimination. ACV is committed to being an equal opportunity employer regardless of sex, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, national origin, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, military status, status as a veteran, or any other protected characteristic. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires reasonable accommodation, please let us know.
- Job Family Product & Technology
- Job Function Engineering Mgmt
- Pay Type Salary
- 640 Ellicott St #321, Buffalo, NY 14203, USA
- Manhattan, New York, NY, USA
- New York, NY, USA
- New York, USA